The goal of the President’s Leadership Fellows Program (PLFP) is to provide students with the soft skills necessary to excel in the contemporary job market. PLFP includes a series of workshops focused on resume and cover letter composition, interview skills, networking, and building a wider SFSU leadership community. Students accepted into PLFP will get the opportunity to improve their knowledge of leadership, teamwork, critical thinking, unconscious bias, emotional intelligence, and financial literacy. Fellows learn to recognize their expertise and how to apply what they have learned in meaningful and relevant ways as they transition into career readiness.
Learn to articulate your value
Enhance your problem solving and critical thinking skills
Network with peers, staff, and consultants
Develop your interpersonal and teamwork abilities
Expand and leverage your skills and confidence to gain competitive edge
Familiarize yourself with SFSU career platforms such as Handshake, Gatorconnect, and BigInterview
A Leader Development Certificate upon completion of the program to add value and differentiate your resume from all of the rest
- The Fellows Program is open to currently enrolled full time junior-level, senior-level, and graduate-level students.
- Completion of Fellows application for a designated semester.
- President’s Leadership Fellows Program (PLFP) will consist of 8 sessions. The cohort will meet on select Wednesdays from 12:15 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. All sessions will be held via Zoom. Please, make sure to have your full name on your Zoom account for attendance purposes. Turning on your camera is not mandatory but highly encouraged.
- Students will be selected into the program and notified of their acceptance the following week after application deadline (September 21st). Students accepted into the program will be notified via your SF State email and your phone number if provided one.
- The President’s Leadership Fellows Program (PLFP) began in Fall 2014 with the generous support of the Eustace Kwan Family Foundation. The pilot program started in the College of Business with 25 students. The number of Fellows accepted to the program increased to 50 students in Spring 2015, and to 100 students each semester thereafter. The success of the program resulted in additional support from the Eustace Kwan Family Foundation in December 2016. With the full support of President Wong and campus leadership, the program expanded to accept 200 applicants from across various colleges and will be selected and notified of their acceptance. As of Fall 2021, over 1,500 students have completed the Fellows program.
Fall 2022 PLFP Schedule:
- 9/28/22 – Orientation
- 10/5/22 – Nurturing Emotional Well-Being
- 10/12/22 – The Art of the Modern Resume
- 10/19/22 – A Remix on Networking and Professionalism
- 10/26/22 – Unlocking the Invisible Door
- 11/2/22 – Stepping into your Career Journey
- 11/9/22 – Applying your Resume to your Career
- 11/16/22 – Certificate Ceremony
Applications will be sent to Junior, Senior, and Graduate students to their SFSU email. If you do not receive an email, please click on the Apply Now link below.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 21st
Questions? Please contact
Samer Dabit – Leadership Success & Career Advisor, Career Services & Leadership Development
- Who is eligible to apply?
- Juniors, seniors & graduate students are welcomed to the program.
- I just transferred, am I eligible to apply to the program?
- Yes, transfer students coming into their junior year are eligible for the program.
- Are there any requirements to apply?
- Yes, you must be available each week for the entire programmed time that the program is scheduled to meet.
- Do I have to pay to be in the program?
- No, this program is free of cost and open to all students.
- Do I need experience beforehand to join?
- No experience is necessary to join.
- Can I apply if I am a part time student?
- No, you must be a full-time student.
- Where will the meetings be held?
- Via Zoom, link will be sent out each week once you are accepted into the program.
- Do I need to bring anything with me to the meetings?
- An open mind, positive attitude and a notebook and pen since there will be a lot of valuable information.